OverviewPublish cell value excel instruction allows to publish a value of a single cell from an excel file to data step property. Publish cell value instruction allows to link an excel file with only one cell value to data step property at a time. Data step properties can be text box, number, decimal, date or True/False check box.
Before we get started
Before we set up the Publish cell value, please ensure that you have data step with 1 file place holder & 1 text box property and 1 file manipulation action step.
1. Expand the folder from left on the screen and double click on a process to open a process.
2. Click on Design mode button from the ribbon bar.
2. Click on file manipulation step to open it.
3. Click on Click here to select an instruction, select Publish cell value instruction from Excel group.
4. In instruction detail, click on Link button on the source workbook to link an excel file.
5. Worksheet names from the linked excel file will be populated in the drop down list. Click on worksheet drop down list and select the excel worksheet.
6. Enter a single cell address OR cell name that you like to publish to data step property.
7. Click on Link button in the target. This will open the step-property searcher.
8. Click on a data step from the result list that contains property you want to link in this instruction. Once you click on a data step, properties with the values will appear within the step searcher.
9. Select the property from the opened popup within searcher.
10. Click on Choose the selected property.
11. Click on Save button the save the step details.
12.Click on Run button to run the step.
Completely configured Publish cell value excel instruction will look like as shown in below image. After running the instruction, value from cell address / cell name will be published to the selected data step property.
Below image shows the data step before and after running Completely configured Publish cell value. You will notice that value of cell A1 appeared in TextBox1. You can also publish Number value to Number property, Decimal value to Decimal property, Date value to Date property and TRUE/FALSE value to CheckBox property.