The [highlight txt=’insert column’] instruction allows a user to insert columns before a particular column within a particular Excel worksheet.[message type=”warning”]For the purposes of this article we are going to use a simple and fictitious Excel file. It has already been uploaded into a data step. You will want to replace this file with one of your own.[/message]
Before we get started
Please further create a ‘Manipulate a file’ or ‘Multiple file manipulations’ action step so that you can add and use instructions.
The target file that we are going to use looks like this:
1. Create an ‘Insert column’ instruction.
2. Link the file named “Target” as the target file.
3. Select Sheet1.
4. Type into the ‘Insert’ field or adjust the ticker next to this field to “2”.
5. Type “B” into the ‘column at’ field.
6. Save and run the step.
7. After the step finishes running, download and open the target file: